A Retired English Teacher Was Bored
And You Think I Was Confused!
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) I did not object to the object.
5) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
6) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
7) They were too close to the door to close it.
8) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear..
Let’s face it — English is a crazy language.
There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?
English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all.
That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.