Royal Canadian Yacht Club

 

 

 

Canada

Royal Canadian Yacht Club

 

 

 

Established in 1852 as a recreational yacht club and an auxiliary of the British Royal Navy in defense of Lake Ontario, the Toronto Boat Club was initially located on the shore of the city of Toronto.  In 1854 it obtained a warrant from Queen Victoria and its name was changed to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, or RCYC.  In accordance with its goal of promoting yachting, competitions were held to stimulate interest in sailing and yacht design.  In 1860 the Prince of Wales Cup was instituted, which is freshwater racing’s oldest trophy.  With industrialization of the city’s waterfront, the club moved to the islands across the water from Toronto in 1881.  After the first two clubhouses were destroyed by fire, Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1919 laid the cornerstone for a new two-storey Southern-style clubhouse.

 

The RCYC operates from two locations, the facilities on the islands in the summer and the clubhouse in downtown Toronto year-round.  In addition to sailing, activities include squash, badminton, tennis, lawn bowling, aquatics, fitness, dining, social events and children’s programming.  The facilities on the water cover three islands for a total of 23 acres within the City of Toronto island park system.  A ferry transports members to the islands, which contain 355 docks.

 

As one of the oldest yacht clubs in the world, the RCYC has long been an active participant in international competitions.  Participants in the youth sailing program, which began in 1925, are taken on organized sailing trips across Canada and the United States.  Visiting sailors are welcomed at the club.

 

 

Comments are closed.

 

 


hey