Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club

 

 

Hong Kong

Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club

 

 

 

With yacht racing beginning in 1849, Hong Kong has a long history of sailing.  The original Victoria Regatta Club became the Hong Kong Corinthian Sailing Club, which was ultimately issued a warrant by the Lords of the Admiralty to call itself the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club in 1894.  Today the club has 12,500 members worldwide, including 5,300 members in Hong Kong.

 

In 1938 the Club moved to Kellett Island, and the clubhouse was built on the site of the old Naval Powder Magazine.  During World War II it was occupied by Japanese Officers, but was re-opened in 1945.  In 1951 a causeway was built to provide access to the club by land, and with Hong Kong reclamation work the harbor eventually disappeared, although the name remains.

 

The club can be found in three locations.  The main site is in Kellett Island in Causeway Bay, from which there is a fabulous view of the buildings of Hong Kong Island and across the harbor to Kowloon.  Every weekend, racing takes place from there in Hong Kong Harbor.  A second location is in Middle Island on the south side of Hong Kong Island, with facilities for dinghy-sailing, rowing and sail training.  A third site at Shelter Cove in Sai Kung is a base for cruisers, dragons and sports boats, where sailing on the open seas provides a view of the mountains of the New Territories.

 

 

 





Comments are closed.

 

 


hey