Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron

 

 

 

New Zealand

Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron

 

 

 

Situated in Westhaven Marina, close to Auckland’s central business district, the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has a history of more than 150 years.  It began as the Auckland Yacht Club in the mid-1800’s, and changed its name to the New Zealand Yacht Squadron in 1901.  The following year a royal warrant was granted, and today it is New Zealand’s senior yacht club with 2,500 members and 700 vessels.  It also has an annex location at Kawau Island, located 31 miles north of Auckland in the Hauraki Gulf.

 

The clubhouse at the Squadron, overlooking the water at the foot of the Auckland Harbour Bridge, has a nautical design and contains a restaurant, bar and ballroom. 

 

With its prestigious reputation in the international yachting world, the Squadron is regarded in high esteem both nationally and internationally.  Major regattas in New Zealand and overseas have produced an array of victories, including The Sydney to Hobart Race, The Whitbread Trophy and The Admiral’s Cup.  It was the winner of The America’s Cup in San Diego in 1995 and in Auckland in 2000. 

 





Comments are closed.

 

 


hey