Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

 

 

 

Singapore

Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

 

 

The oldest yacht club in Asia, founded in 1826 when Singapore was a British colony, boasted officers and men such as Sir Stamford Raffles as its earliest members.  In 1919 a group of sailors reinvigorated what was then called the Singapore Yacht Club, building a new clubhouse in Tanjong Pagar.  When the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, became the club’s first Royal Patron, the name was changed to the Royal Singapore Yacht Club.  During World War II, many of the club’s trophies were saved from destruction by Henry Worham, and the club was later revived.

 

In 1965, forced to leave their premises, the club built a new clubhouse on five acres of mangrove swamp with the help of the British Army.  A year later, Singapore became a Republic, and “Royal” was replaced with “Republic” in its name.  The club moved again in 1999, and the modern design was designated a historic site by the National Heritage Board, later winning the Singapore Institute of Architects’ Architectural Design Award in the Recreational Category.

 

The club is only a 15-minute drive from the city center, and provides easy boating access to Singapore’s Southern Islands and Indonesia’s Riau Archipelago.  With facilities for 127 wet berths and 218 dry berths, restaurants, bars, hotel rooms, a gym and a swimming pool, the club is a popular destination for leisure activities.  Annually it holds the RSYC Regatta, the oldest regatta in Singapore, dating back to the 1920s.  In addition to competitive events, the club offers courses and sailing lessons for its members.

 

Comments are closed.

 

 


hey