New York Yacht Club

 

 

 

 

United States

New York Yacht Club

 

 

 

The prestigious New York Yacht Club was formed in 1844 by John Cox Stevens and eight other New York yachtsmen, providing an organization for weekend New York harbor racing and summer cruising in New England.  The group of nine cruised to Newport, Rhode Island three days later, starting an annual event.  In 1851, Stevens’ boat “America” beat a fleet of English competitors, launching the America’s Cup race.

 

The first clubhouse was located in Hoboken, New Jersey, where it remained for 23 years.  Immediately after opening, there was a “trial of speed”, which became the Annual Regatta.  Moving to Glen Cove, Long Island, the clubhouse was known as “Station 10”, being one of 11 stations of the NYYC situated along the east coast’s sailing route.  As membership topped 1,000 at the end of the 19th century, the club required more space and moved to 44th Street in Manhattan, to property donated by Pierport Morgan, where it still stands today.  Housing the social, library, archives and administrative offices of the club, the exterior of the building was designated as a landmark by the City of New York Landmarks Preservation Commission.  The side of the building is considered one of the best examples of Beaux-Arts architecture in the U.S., with windows framed of carved sailing vessels and dolphins swimming in their wakes.

 

As the club did not have a waterfront presence, it attracted a primarily older crowd, meeting in the wintertime and for social events.  With the intent of appealing to a younger generation, the club acquired the on-the-water Harbor Court in Newport, Rhode Island.

 





Comments are closed.

 

 


hey