Poland

Manufaktura in Lodz the Spinning Mill

 

 

 

The cotton empire of Izrael Poznanski began in 1871 with the purchase of vacant land along Ogrodowa St.  Over the next 25 years, it developed into an entire district, with weaving plants, spinning mills, facilities for bleaching, dyeing, fabric printing and finishing.  The business grew to include buildings to repair machinery, a foundry, gasworks, fire station, warehouses, a hospital, church, a palace for Poznanski, and housing for thousands of his workers.   World events of the 20th century negatively affected Lodz, and the complex subsequently went into liquidation.

 

The redevelopment of the district, which opened in 2006, has resulted in a complex of 13 repurposed historic buildings and a modern shopping mall.  Its massive 27-hectare size is equivalent to 38 football fields.  The outside has retained its façade from the 19th century, with impressive brickwork, arches, clocks and decorative gates. 

 

Housed in what was at one time Poznanski’s Palace is the Museum of Lodz, reflecting the local life of the city, including an exhibit of the memorabilia of resident pianist Arthur Rubinstein.  The Museum of Factory, previously the textile finishing plant, displays a history of the factory from inception to closure.  The largest building in the complex, the Spinning Mill, once containing 80,000 spindles, has been turned into a hotel.  The complex currently contains 300 retail outlets, office space, a bank, a casino, an Imax cinema, theatre, and bowling alley. Offering pubs and restaurants, what is now the Market was once home to weaving and dyeing plants.  In summer, the square is covered in sand, palm trees and thatched bungalows to create a beach, and is converted to an ice rink in winter.

 





Write a Comment

 

 


hey