Photography and Text By Mark Raynes Roberts

London – Toronto

 

 

 

 

Photography and Text By Mark Raynes Roberts

Timoleague Friary was founded by the Franciscan order in 1240, and is situated at the edge of a long sea inlet in County Cork. It was built on the site of a monastic settlement founded in the 6th century by Saint Molaga after whom Timoleague is named.

 

Irish Charm On The Emerald Isle

 

 

 

One of the great road trips of Ireland is a drive around the scenic Ring of Kerry,a wonderful 179-Km. long (111-mile) circular tourist route in County Kerry in south-western Ireland, with panoramic views of rugged coastline, white sandy beaches and inland mountain vistas. 

 

Mark Raynes Roberts | Jo Lee Magazine

The golden light view from Blackstones Bridge on the Caragh River where fly fishermen have been casting their lines for hundreds of years. The four-arch, rubble-stone road bridge was built in 1810.

 

The charm of Ireland is revealed in the small villages where the locals provide great hospitality at the myriad unique independent pubs. 

 

Mark Raynes Roberts

The spectacular view from St. Finian’s Bay looks out across the Atlantic Ocean towards the Skellig Islands. The larger Skellig Michael Island contains remains of an early Christian monastery that is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

 

The mixture of history and geographical wonders that can be seen in the spring time make the Ring of Kerry and County Cork well worth visiting.

 

Mark Raynes Roberts | Jo Lee Magazine

Carrig Country House is hidden away on Caragh Lake and lies at the foot of the northern lower slopes of the MacGillycuddy’s Reeks at the head of the Caragh Valley. It is a magnificent hunting lodge built in 1850 as part of the Blennerhassett Estate.

 

Mark Raynes Roberts | Jo Lee Magazine

Carrig Country House was acquired in 1996, Frank and Mary Slattery, who have meticulously renovated and restored the Victorian residence to its former glory, and have won numerous prestigious awards for their superb hospitality and food.

 

Mark Raynes Roberts | Jo Lee Magazine

Recognized as one of Ireland’s top country house destinations with prize-winning food, Ballyvolane House was built in 1728 by Sir Richard Pyne, a Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, and designed in the classic Georgian country house style.

 

Mark Raynes Roberts | Jo Lee Magazine

The four-arch Blackstones Bridge seen in the far distance was built in 1810, and crosses over the Caragh River where fly fishermen seek their big catch.

 

Mark Raynes Roberts | Jo Lee Magazine

Timoleague Friary situated at the edge of a long sea inlet in County Cork was extended by Donal Glas McCarthy in 1312, and by Irish and Norman patrons in the 16th century. The monks were dispersed by the Reformation, but returned in 1604. In 1612 the abbey was sacked by English soldiers who also smashed all of the stained-glass windows, but much of the significant architecture remains. The friars remained in the abbey until 1629.

 

 

 

 





Comments are closed.

 

 


hey